Friday, February 03, 2012

Science, Superstition, and Scripture

Upon retrospect, there were three collections of books that captured my imagination most when I was a child. To this day, their contents still reverberate inside my skull and, more often than not, spill out into whatever I write. The first is called the Life Science Library, a series published by Time-Life Books. They explored the natural sciences and were also very useful for squishing cockroaches . The second is called The Supernatural, a series published by Aldus Books. I don't know why my uncle bought them but I would read the shit out of them whenever we visited their house. They were my gateway into the occult. Each volume had the Sigil of Baphomet on the back cover, how cool is that? The third was the King James Bible. The New Testament didn't interest me much, save for the story of the demon called Legion (for they were many), but the Old Testament was a blast with God and the prophets theeing and thouing and smiting people left and right.


No comments:

Post a Comment