Friday, December 07, 2012

All the Gods

With our daughter's baptism coming up, I can't help but feel like I'm betraying my principles by agreeing to it. Whether I like it or not, I'm still culturally a Christian. So, yeah, I'll do the motions, however meaningless they seem to me.

This reminds me of that time when a buddy asked me if I were planning to raise my daughter atheist. Hell no. I will teach her all about Jesus and Allah and Vishnu and Zarathustra and Zeus and Santa Claus and all the gods. I will take her to a Christian church and I will take her to a Buddhist temple. I will tell her that some people believe these gods are real while others don't and I will tell her that no one knows with absolute certainty even if some claim that they do. And then one day she will choose for herself.

So, yeah, I'm okay with the baptism thing now.


No comments:

Post a Comment